player playlist Miranda Gomez's AP Lit Comp Blog: CANTERBURY TALES (I)

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

CANTERBURY TALES (I)

Here are some of my notes on the Canterbury Tales! From last week and today's in class notes.

setting: Tabard Inn, located in the suburb of London; Canterbury 55 miles southeast of London

"amor vincit omnia: love conquers all" this quote seemed very ironic because it was engraved on an ostentatious brooch of a nun of all people

sanguine: adj. cheerful, confident

avouches: verb. asserts positively, affirms

prevarication: n. evasion of truth

"if evensong and matins will agree: if what you said last night holds true this morning" this quote in particular struck me the most because if the characters were to lie about what they told each other they would be "it" ? I understand this to a certain point, but not completely in depth.

The character I would like to know the story of is the Wife of Bath. She had five husbands and I am intrigued to know more about her past and how she came about having five husbands. Whether or not she had them at once or at different times? It is ironic that she would have five husbands because it does not seem common for that time and more fitting to present time.

No comments:

Post a Comment